Friday, December 23, 2011

Gingerbread Man Cookies

We have an established tradition in our home for our little family of three.  Each year, about one to two days before Christmas, I whip up a batch of gingerbread cookie dough using a slightly altered (less sugar) and veganized (applesauce and light olive oil replace the butter, along with an egg substitute) version of this recipe.  I make it in the morning, then chill it in the refrigerator for a few hours.  My husband and son eagerly anticipate their afternoon together of rolling out the dough and using the gingerbread man cookie cutter to make their edible creations.  I will prepare a batch of my homemade icing to use as the "glue" for chocolate chip and red hot eyes and buttons.  This year, I thought I would change things up a little bit and provide these tiny coated chocolate candies I found at our local dollar store.  I remember eating them as a kid.  I tried some this year, and I think they actually taste better now than they did in the past, which is a pleasant surprise.  An added bonus: wording on the package indicates that they are gluten free, and were made in a peanut free facility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment